Sunday 4 October 2020

Brigid Kosgei wins 2020 London Marathon

Brigid Kosgei clocked 2.18.58 to win the 40th London Women's Marathon. A fellow Kenyan Ruth Chepngetich who is also a world champion finished third. Sarah Hall, a US citizen snatched the second place after passing Chepngetich some meters to the finish line. 

Celebrations erupted in Eldoret with Governor Jackson Mandagor leading the proud Kenyans in celebration the win. This is third time Kosgei is winning London Women's marathon. 

Later in the day Eliud Kipchoge will be defending his title. He is likely to face minimal opposition since his main competitor Kenenisa Bekele pulled out of the race due to calf injury. 

“It has been a tough preparation time, with lockdown, when I couldn’t have my NN team around me. I was in good shape but then I picked up a niggle in my left calf after two fast training sessions close together in the last weeks of preparation," Bekele said. 

Photo courtesy : Brigid Kosgei